In keeping with its mission to innovate, educate and collaborate to improve patient care, SAGES is continuing its enterprise designed to stimulate and support surgical innovation. In partnership with Varia Ventures, SAGES is continuing a three-pronged initiative to educate its members on entrepreneurism, engage and showcase inventors through the reimagined and funded SAGES Shark Tank business competition, and finance promising startups through the new SINC Fund.
This year’s finalists will present both their idea and supporting business model to the Shark Tank judges. All semi-finalists will have an opportunity to be considered for investment by the SINC Fund, a new venture fund launched by SAGES in collaboration with Varia Ventures. In addition, the winner will also receive the $30,000 first prize.
- The application window will be November 1-December 19, 2023. There is a $100 non-refundable application fee.
- Applicants will need to fill out a written questionnaire, submit a pitch deck, and upload supporting documents. This information will be shared with the SAGES and Varia Ventures’ reviewers.
- If you are selected to move on, semi-finalists will pitch their company in person at the Innovation Weekend in Houston, February 23, 2024.
- Three finalists will be selected at that event to present at the 2024 Shark Tank Session at the Annual Meeting in Cleveland, which takes place on Thursday, April 18, 2024 from 5:00-6:00 PM.
- A winner will be selected at the annual meeting and receive a $30,000 cash prize.
*SAGES 2024 Shark Tank is not affiliated with Shark Tank (Sony Pictures Television Inc.)
NOTE: The ACCME has released new guidance in December 2020 that indicates equity owners of privately-held companies are considered owners/employees. ACCME Standards state that owners/employees have unresolvable financial relationships and should not be involved in the content of CME activities, with rare exceptions. If you are involved with the planning or presenting of content for a CME activity, with SAGES or any other venue, you will need to disclose this financial relationship. There are many opportunities to provide education in non-CME venues. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The SINC Fund is still open for investment. Members of SAGES can now invest in the SINC Fund, which will invest in a portfolio of fast-growing, early-stage companies seeking to advance the fields of endoscopic, laparoscopic and general surgery, with additional investment opportunities in other surgical and non-healthcare companies for diversification. The minimum investment is $10,000 and more information can be found at sincinvest.varia.com.
Notes Regarding SINC:
The Shark Tank competition and the SINC Fund are independent of each other.
The Shark Tank winner will automatically be considered for investment by the SINC Fund. Additional diligence will be conducted on the company by the Fund team.
If you have any questions before applying to the Fund, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org